A lot of business users prefer a 12 inch laptop over 13 and 14 inch laptops as they are way more easier to carry around. Believe it or not but even a 13 inch laptop feels bigger than a 12 inch laptop. It is unreal how much one inch can make when it comes to portability.
In this article we will discuss which is the best 12 inch laptop of 2016 right now. But before we enlist those laptops, we will tell you what criterias did we take before choosing one.
1. Screen size and resolution: There are two types of 12 inch laptops, first is 11.6” and second is 12.1” – both of which are called 12 inch laptops. Resolution is very important as there are now some 12 inch laptop packing same resolution as 15 inch ultrabooks that pack full HD. Back in late 2014 and early 2015, we have seen myriad 15 inch ultrabook models featuring quad HD resolution. It is usually a consensus that more resolution is a good thing and we tend to agree on that. More number of pixels allow you to see more at a single time. It also allows you to see more detail in images packing a lot of megapixels. So on such 15 inch ultrabook and 12 inch laptop models, you will be able to see a lot at a time.
2. Battery life: There is no point in buying a portable laptop if its battery life sucks. We recommend getting one with at least 6 hours of real life runtime. Normally the one with the latest Intel processor yields the best battery life. These new processors are made using 14 or 28 nm manufacturing technology and consume very little power while running or in standby.
3. Thinness and thickness: In the last couple of years we have seen a lot of computer manufactures putting a lot of stress in making laptops thin. Look at the Macbook Air which is usually used as benchmark for 12 and 13 inch ultrabooks. A thin laptop is usually more easy to carry around. A 12 inch laptop can literally get lost in a man bag or woman purse.
4. Port selection: There is no point in buying a laptop which comes with only one USB port and no standard video output jacks. Take the 12 inch macbook air for example, which comes with two USB ports and thunderbolt port which is not present only monitors except for the Apple-branded ones. Users often have to carry a thunderbolt to HDMI converter to carry their Macbook around.
Enough talking,let us list the best 12 inch laptops of 2016.
1. Lenovo ThinkPad X140e for $350 on amazon – Often touted as the best student and business laptop, the Lenovo ThinkPad X140e is built like a tank and offers incredible battery life. Since it is a ThinkPad you can rest assured that it will last you for many years to come.
AMD APU A4-5000 Quad Core Processor
4GB DDR3 1600MHz; 500GB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive
AMD Radeon HD 8330 GPU
Built-in HD 720 Webcam; Windows 7 Professional 64
2. Dell Inspiron i3148 for $473 on amazon – This laptop can do the double duty of laptop and tablet thus saving you lots of money.
Intel Core i3-4010U processor
4 GB DDR3L RAM
500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive, Built in Wireless b/g/n
Windows 8.1 (64-bit) operating system
3. Apple Macbook Air for $889 on amazon – This is the benchmark of all the thin 12 inch laptops being sold in the market. It has excellent built quality and offer great battery life.
Intel Core i5 processor
4 GB of RAM
128 GB SSD
OS X Mavericks; Up to 9 hours of battery life
4. Asus Transformer Book for $449 on amazon– This is the cheapest one on our 12 inch laptop list and is one the best deals out there. You can detach the screen that allows you to use it as standalone tablet.
Intel Quad Core processor with 4GB RAM
Package includes Keyboard Dock
9-Hour battery life
5. HP Stream 11 for $199 on amazon – The HP Stream 11 has broken all sales records for offering so much for so less. It runs windows 8 and is extremely portable.